- Chestnuts – 450g (1lb)
- Onion – 100g (4oz) chopped
- Butter – 25g (1oz)
- Chicken stock – 568ml (1 pint)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh milk – 300ml (1/2 pint)
- Fresh single cream – 150ml (5 fl oz)
- Parsley – chopped, to serve
Make a small slit near the pointed end of the chestnuts. Place in a basin, cover with boiling water and leave for 5 minutes. Remove chestnuts from the water one at a time and peel off the outer and inner skin while still warm. Be careful not to burn your fingers when removing the skin!
Place peeled chestnuts in a saucepan with the onion, butter and stock. Season lightly, cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Cool slightly, then puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Return to a clean saucepan, add milk and cream, check seasoning and reheat gently.
Serve garnish with parsley.
Recipe from Recipe Round-Up (Dairy Diaries)